Friday 11 December 2020

(A)Tension to tone !

 So  a month into my new setup and I'm really having fun.

Making the transition to standing has had side effects I wasn't expecting  its so much more immersive when playing along to tunes. 

I have also progressed through another little glass ceiling. 

I now have 2 or 3 tone patches on my  GT-001 that I am really happy with.  For a while I was a touch disappointed that everything I tried sounded muddy and indistinct. Not any more I finally figured it out and surprise surprise its not the kit - it was my fingers!

I have said in the past that I have a tendency to play a little to fast - well admitting it is the first step in fixing it.  I am consciously playing a lot slower than I used to and critiquing my technique.  This has 2 side effects.

  • Muscle memory - This develops fairly quickly at low speeds but is fragile - it can get confused or muddied if you speed up too fast.  Trust your fingers they know what to do but dont force them to play fast.
  • Tone - Not forcing your fingers means your hand is far less tense. This means your  playing is cleaner and even allows a half second here or there for a little slide or vibrato - actually even having  that time to think about it really elevates your sound.
Ok so I have to slow down tracks a way to play long but its really (REALLY) encouraging to actually play along to something familiar and its definitely an huge boost to listen to yourself actually sounding musical !!


Still a long way to go but  I am now consciously relaxing and enjoying the journey rather than working on it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment